DEPARTMENT OF VETERINARY ANIMAL HUSBANDRY EXTENSION EDUCATION
Salient Research Achievements:
- There exists significant heterogeneity of small scale dairy farms regarding socio-economic conditions in Uttarakhand. Multivariate statistical techniques Cluster Analysis proved to be a great tool in identifying socio-economic behavior of typical milk producing households.
- Labour cost was observed to be a greater determinant of profitability in milk production rather feeds and fodder.
- Dairy producers with market oriented milk production, produce milk at lowest cost of production and most profit. There is need to link producers to the milk markets not only with remunerative prices.
- There is need to impart short term dairy production and marketing trainings in peri-urban areas.
- There are differences in information seeking behaviour across the dairy producers in plains and hills. Government agencies should focus on increasing the accessibility of modern ICT tools in hills with adequate trainings.
- Dairy cooperatives have positive role in information dissemination. Agencies should focus on it.
- There is ample scope for privatization of extension services in livestock production system by facilitating regulatory and supervisory mechanism.
Selected Research Publications
Dr. S.C. Tripathi, Professor & Head
- Tripathi, S.C., Dabas YPS and Harshwardhan. 2006. Prospects of On-line Education in Uttaranchal . Journal of Communication Studies. Vol. XXIV (2): 22-27.
- Sharma, A. K.; Singh, R. K. and Tripathi, S. C. 2008. Nature, Extent and Determinations of Milch Animal Trade in Mid Plain Zone of Uttar Pradesh. Indian J. of Agricultural Marketing. Vol. 22(2) May-Aug.2008, pp79-112
- Singh Pratibha. Bardhan, D. and Tripathi, S. C. 2014. Role of dairy cooperatives in information dissemination: evidence from Nainital district in Uttarakhand. The Asian Journal of Animal Sciences. Vol. 9 (1): 43-51
- Singh Pratibha, Tripathi S. C. and Bardhan, D. 2014. Utilization Pattern and Perceived Benefits of Information & Communication Technology (ICT) tools used by Dairy Farmers in Nainital District of Uttarakhand. Animal Science Reporter (International Journal of Animal Science Research) Vol. 8 (4). Pp. 130-139.
- Bardhan, D. Singh Pratibha & Tripathi, S. C. 2014. Leveraging Information and Communication Technology Infrastructure of dairy Cooperative Network: An ex-ante analysis of Potential Institutional Innovation . Agricultural Economics Research Review. Vol. 2(Conference Number) 2014. Pp. 55-66.
Dr. Avadhesh Kumar, Professor
- Arora, A.S.; Kumar, Avadhesh; Bardhan, D. & Dabas, Y.P.S. 2006. Socio-economic and communication variables associated with level of knowledge and degree of adoption of improved animal husbandry practices in U.S. Nagar district of Uttaranchal. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 59 (5): 237-244.
- Arora, A.S.; Kumar, Avadhesh;Bardhan, D. and Dabas, YPS. 2008. An assessment of attributes of improved animal husbandry practices as perceived by dairy farmers of Tarai region of Uttarakhand. Indian Journal of Dairy Science. 61 (4): 311-316.
- Bhoj, S., Bardhan, D. and Kumar, A. 2013. Determinants and implications of rural women’s participation in microfinance programme: an analysis of dairy self-help groups in Uttarakhand State of India. Livestock research for rural development. 25(10).
- Sone P., Bardhan, D. and Kumar, A. 2015. Constraints faced by goat farmers in Almora district of Uttarakhand. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants, Vol. 21(2) pp. 325-330.
- Sone, Poornima, Bardhan, D. and Kumar, Avadhesh. 2015. Role of goats in livelihoods of rural poor in Uttarakhand hills of India: An analysis with special reference to multivariate typology of households based on farm and socio-economic characteristics. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences. 85 (8): 91.